Thursday, January 13, 2011

a chili run.

First off,
everyone wish my beautiful mother a Happy Birthday! She rules.


With the help of my new favorite book,


i am determined to become a better runner. This means bundling up and facing the snow covered streets:




I registered for another race this week. The runcbus ten miler on April 10th in Gahanna, Ohio. I signed up to get a free $90 New Balance wind breaker help with half marathon training.


Oh, and I got new shoes! Nike+ Free Run:


These are brilliant running shoes. Very light with minimal support. They force you to strike on the balls of your feet instead of the heal. I actually have to train myself to run in them to prevent injury, but it'll be so worth it.


I may also be joining a training team, there is an informational meeting next week. I'll keep ya'll posted.


moving on...


I've been seeing this recipe for Whole Foods Lentil Chili all over the place. My mom wanted chili for her birthday, so chili she gets.


Ingredients
8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided 
1 medium yellow onion, chopped 
1 large red bell pepper, chopped (I used green)
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
4 teaspoons salt-free chili powder 
1 (16-ounce) package brown lentils (about 2 1/4 cups lentils) 
2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes 
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (I left out)



(I added carrots and black beans - because I love them)






Bring 3/4 cup broth to a simmer in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, (carrot) and garlic and cook about 8 minutes or until onion is translucent and pepper is tender. Stir in chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add lentils, tomatoes and remaining 7 1/4 cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until lentils are almost tender. Uncover (add 2 cans of black beans - rinsed) and cook 10 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro and serve.








I made this last night for dinner tonight, next day chili is always best. 


Thanks to Whole Foods for another awesome recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment