Friday, January 7, 2011

resolutionary.

I know resolutionary isn't a word, but it sounds like it could be. Sometimes I have a strange gift for making up words - lucky me.


resolutionary -  markedly new or introducing radical change...in the new year.


I've never really been one to make resolutions; shouldn't we always be working on bettering ourselves? But this year, with a desire to drastically change my life, I have set a few goals for myself:
  • Run a half marathon


I signed up Wednesday for the Cleveland Half on May 15th. I know I said I was going to do the full marathon but after much thought, I just don't think I will be able to do it alone. Running for 4-5 hours with no one to talk to, no one to keep my mind off the stress on my body - I just don't think it's possible for me to succeed. With full confidence in the half marathon, I am excited to finally run my longest race.

  • Compliment others more. Don't you feel awesome when someone comments on your hair or shirt? I know I do, so I'd like to make others feel happy too!
  • Lighten my load. I have too much stuff for one little person. If I haven't worn it in a year - it's gone. Do I really need 37 snow hats? GONE!
  • Make small, weekly goals regarding my health and fitness. When someone sets huge, unrealistic goals they probably will fail. Setting easily attainable goals to accomplish will push you to keep making more. With a list or calender full of check marks you are bound to feel better about yourself and what you've done.
Here are some of the things that are on my calender for this month:
      -Eat vegan/vegetarian
      -1 minute of plank exercise a day
      -Gym 5 days a week
      -Run 2 miles, 3x a week
      -Yoga 2x a week
      -Resistant band ab workout 3x a week

Slowly checking these items off is keeping me on track, and keeping my motivation high. Getting me in shape to start training for the half marathon is my first priority.


I know a lot of you have goals to lose weight or get in shape, and I have no doubt that you will be able to do it. Keep your eye on the prize!

If you need help with ideas of what to eat or how much to eat or just some workout motivation, please call, email, facebook, twitter...I would be so happy to help.

eats.

I have been eating vegan all this week - a much needed cleanse after the holidays. I wanted to leave you with a recipe I came up with for stuffed peppers.
  • brown rice
  • favorite marinara sauce
  • green peppers
  • carrots
  • black beans
  • pine nuts
  • corn
  • butternut squash
Depending on how many peppers you plan on, make enough rice to fill them all. There really is no science here, throw in whatever and however much stuff you want.

Cook rice according to directions, add vegetables, beans, nuts, coat with marinara sauce.

Cut off tops of green peppers, remove seeds and ribs, fill with rice mixture. Place filled peppers in a deep pan filled with about a 1/2 inch of water - this will help steam everything to perfection.

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (or until peppers are cooked) on lowest rack in oven.




be resolutionary!


1 comment:

  1. damnnn half marathon. can't even think of mileage that high yet.

    ps. don't feel too bad. i've been down here for at least 2 years now and just had a roast pork sandwich within the past couple months...

    ReplyDelete