Monday, November 1, 2010

2010 goals with a side of pumpkin.

hello november!

Can you believe another year is almost gone? Sometimes I wish I could pull a Zack Morris and freeze time for a moment or two; just enough to catch my breath.

I am taking advantage of these last two months to check a few items off my to-do list. Things I've been meaning to do or want to do, but haven't had an opportunity. Putting these down in writing make me more accountable and push me harder to make them happen. So let's go!

Continue on the no meat train
I've only had a few bites of meat here and there, but I really would like to buckle down and finish this year off strictly vegetarian. I want to enter 2011 feeling as good as I know I can.

Join a gym
I have been tinkering with the idea for a few weeks now. Even though I hate the whole idea of gyms - the fine print and overcharging, sweaty strangers everywhere. Ick! My lungs burn when I run in the winter, and the limited daylight poses safety issues. I think I will suck it up and join. Thankfully there is a Fitness 19 right by my house for $9 a month. I have yet to stop in and check it out, but I shall soon.

Run a 10 miler
Running 10 miles in 30 degree weather does not appeal to me, BUT if I join a heated gym...

Experiment in the kitchen more
I absolutely hate cooking for one person. My thinking is, "Why bother?" I end up making the most boring meals for myself. Rice, pasta, a single frozen meal. I would LOOOVE to have a pantry full of options without the fear of things going bad. Not anymore. I have a lot of people in my life that would love to receive the gift of food.

I am also scared to death of cooking with tofu. I really have no idea why, but I will conquer the tasteless cube of soy!

Start weight training
Again, gym...

Get a haircut
The simplest of all things I know, but I have been putting it off for months. My hair is best kept short and if it's not short I don't really feel that confident or attractive. A cute bob with bangs will make an appearance soon, you-best-believe-it.

Start a book club
I started a book club a couple years ago with a few wonderful ladies. Life moved on and so did we. Who doesn't love to read a book during those cold winter months? If you are interested, speak up! Let's learn, let's laugh, let's make new friends!

There you have it, my goals for the rest of 2010.


Having a bit of homemade pumpkin purée in my freezer, I whipped up a loaf of pumpkin bread. I got this particular recipe (which I love) from Simply Recipes.
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup pumpkin purée
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  •  2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Combine dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls:


Mix dry ingredients into the wet, don't over mix. Pour into a loaf pan and bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes:


....and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment